Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Yard Work

I spent a little time on the weekend getting the yard ready for next spring. I have never really had a yard to work in and I've never really had a successful garden so this is all going to be trial and error for me. If you have any advice, I welcome it! I trimmed away most of the dead stuff, I planted some tulip bulbs and I dug up our front garden. I would like to have small vegetable garden next year, but our yard is quite shady, so I think the front section is where we get the most sun. I actually really like the look of vegetable gardens, plus I'm thinking it would look quite welcoming with some sunflowers and some other flowers (I've been told zinnias are good for vegetable gardens?).

from here
I also really like black eyed susans!

from here.
Here is how my hands looked after digging around for a couple of hours. I love getting my hands all dirty from yard work. It's very satisfying to clean them afterwards!


There is really a lot of garden areas in our yard and I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it all. I think I'll need to find a way to make things very low maintenance.

Here are a couple more pictures from the weekend just because...


Parker is just eating cheerios, but he looks like he is rather shocked at something!


This is how we roll on Sunday afternoons- just hanging around.

Do you do anything to your yard in the fall to get it ready for the spring? When do you start planning your garden? 




5 comments:

  1. I have a lot of garden area but now that I am working full time I no longer have the time to manage it. One thing for sure is that you don't want your garden beds completely cleared because there will be too much erosion. Plus the birds need the twigs, branches and seed pods.
    In a vegetable garden you can lay down layers of newspapers between the rows. Cover this with a layer of straw (not hay which has seeds in it)and you won't have to constantly be weeding or walking in mud. It also helps to keep the warmth in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Lori! That will really help me with getting the front garden ready for veggies. Would I do the newspaper and straw right now?

      Delete
  2. I don't do too much in the Fall, but as soon as things start to melt a bit in the Spring, I am out there all the time. Our garden suffered terribly this year since we had Kesten, but that's ok. Someday we'll get it going out here. (This isn't a pity comment) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, sure! ;) In my opinion, your garden was still lovely even though you think it suffered. If I can have a garden next year like yours was this year, I'll be happy!

      Delete
  3. what a gorgeous flower at the yard! I’d be tempted to just leave it as it is… I’m not a huge fan of spending too much time on yardwork, I just like to sit back and enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...